A hair transplant is a surgery in which hair is moved to bald and thinning areas of the scalp. Often regarded as "hair restoration" or "hair replacement," this surgery is recommended to those who have tried hair loss treatments. Dermatologists, healthcare professionals who specialize in skin, or plastic surgeons perform hair transplants.Hair transplant is a procedure in which hair from one place is moved to another on the head. This transplant can be done in many different ways. Grafting is the most common method. To be a good candidate for a hair transplant, you must have enough hair in thicker areas of your head. Permanent hair loss can happen due to several different factors, including alopecia.
On this page, we’ll discuss details on the hair transplant and its different surgical treatments.
What is the procedure for a hair transplant?
The professional dermatologist takes grafts, or small pieces of skin, from areas of the body that contain healthy hair. Healthcare providers call this area a donor site. It is generally on your head, at the back of your scalp, where hairs are thick. The healthcare provider moves these grafts to hairless parts of the scalp. After few months of graft the transplanted skin heals and the hair continues to grow.
Conditions where hair restoration surgery is required
There are many reasons that cause hair loss. Sometimes hair loss is temporary; other times it may be permanent. Hair implants help you with permanent hair loss caused by
Alopecia Areata: An autoimmune disease that attacks hair follicles
Androgenic alopecia is a particular pattern of baldness.
Thyroid disease or hormonal imbalances
Traumatic injuries or burns
There are several different ways to perform hair transplant surgery; some of these are
How is grafting performed?
In hair grafting, a small piece of scalp containing healthy hair is cut. Sometimes they use a small round punch to remove skin that contains 10 to 15 hairs. People call these hair grafts "plugs." Micro grafts usually contain one to two hairs. This procedure takes several hours to complete. Most people stay awake during the skin graft surgery, but certain medications are given to make the scalp numb. Your scalp needs to be healed for a few months between procedures.
How is scalp reduction done?
Healthcare professionals call scalp reduction "alopecia reduction." In this procedure, a surgeon removes a small patch of bald skin from the scalp. The loose nearby skin, which contains hair, is pulled over the bald area, and then the loose skin is stitched to the bald area. Scalp reduction is best for balding areas that lie on the top and back of the head. These areas of the head are generally surrounded by skin and hair. Sometimes providers use scalp reduction and hair implants together to attain full coverage. Scalp reduction, like graft reduction, requires only numbing medication for the scalp. This means you don’t need general anesthesia.
How is flap surgery done?
Flap surgery is done when large bald areas near the front of the scalp are present. Flap surgery takes place in different sessions over a few weeks. The surgeon cuts from the three sites of donor site. The fourth side is left attached to ensure the original blood supply. The surgeon than cuts the flap and lift it over bald areas. Flap surgery requires general anesthesia.
How is tissue expansion done?
If your scalp baldness is due to a burn or injury, a professional may perform tissue expansion surgery. Tissue expansion requires general anesthesia and involves many steps. In this procedure, an implant is inserted under the scalp where the hair remains, and the implant shaped like a balloon is known as a tissue expander. The expander is gradually inflated to stretch the skin. The surgeon then performs another procedure to cover the bald area with the stretched skin.
Hair transplant surgery cost in India
The cost of a hair transplant varies considerably depending on the type of transplant technique, the number of grafts, the baldness area, and the experience of the surgeon. The FUE (Follicular Unit Extraction) method of transplantation costs in India start at 40,000 INR, while different techniques of transplantation cost 1, 30,000 INR. In India, the cost of a graft ranges from Rs 20 to Rs 150, plus GST. To estimate the cost of hair transplantation in India, the patient needs to know how many grafts will be used. Generally, every graft contains three hair follicles. As there are different levels of baldness thus the number of transplants needed is based on degree of baldness. For example, in the FUE technique, each graft costs approximately Rs 50.The cost will be high for an average procedure that involves 2000 to 3000 grafts.
Hair transplantation success rate
It is recorded that the FUE hair transplant success rate is 60 to 70 percent in India. The FUT technique used for hair grafts also has the same success rate. After three months, new hairs start to grow and continue to grow at their normal rate. After six months of a hair transplant session, the transplanted hairs begin to take on a natural appearance, and they will continue to grow for a lifetime.
Effects of hair transplantation-there are certain side effects that come with the hair transplant, like hair shedding, numbness, bleeding, pain, infection, itching, swelling, and cyst formation. These side effects last for a few months after the hair graft surgery.
Benefits of Hair Transplantation
- Permanent solution to hair loss: The hair transplanted to the bald area continues to grow as natural hair, and the overall results are more permanent in nature. The hair-rich scalp area serves as a donor site for the bald area of the head. The thick follicles from the donor site are transplanted to the bald area.
- Enhanced Appearance: People with low hair density have low self-confidence. Their self-esteem is lowered as they are not satisfied with their natural appearance. It has no effect on their personal relationship or the workplace's performance. A hair transplant fills the bald patches naturally. Individuals who have had hair transplants feel more confident.
- Low Maintenance: It is a hidden benefit of hair transplants. With other methods, one has to use medicated shampoos or conditioners or have to visit a stylist regularly, leading to high maintenance costs throughout the year. A hair transplant provides a one-time solution.
- Natural looking: The final results of the hair transplant procedure resemble the patient's natural hair exactly. Original hair follicles are extracted and treated in this treatment. These hairs give a natural look.
Conclusion- There are many types of hair transplants that can be done which restore the baldness due to hair loss. These hair transplants gives natural hair appearance and boosts self esteem and confidence of the individuals.
Hair Transplant and Its Different Surgical Treatments
- Know Small Cell Lung Cancer Types Stages Diagnosis And Treatment
- Plumbing Job Skills And Related Plumbing Companies In USA
- A Guide to Cybersecurity Risk Management for Small Businesses 2023
- Before Investing, Know About Mutual Funds And How They Benefit Investors
- Know Health Insurance Plans And Their Benefits
- Top Work From Home Jobs For Job Seekers In Year 2023
- Top Video Conferencing Tools For Personal And Corporate Meetings 2023
- Top Paying Part Time Jobs In Canada For International Students 2023
- Best Color Options To Paint Exterior Walls Of Your House
- Most Popular Inventory Management Software For Small Business